CafeMom Tickers

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Heard of A Push Present



So there is really such things as a "push present".


In case you don't know, a push present (also known as a "push gift" or "baby bauble") is a present a new father gives a new mother when she gives birth to their child. The present may be given before or after the birth, or even in the delivery room. The giving of push presents has grown in the United States in recent years {I first heard about the trend when celebrity moms starting getting "push presents" that cost more than the island of Bali, I'm sure}.

Apparently the tradition of gift-giving to commemorate a birth has long roots in England and India. The term "push present" first appeared in a publication in 1992. In 2005, Southeast-United States jewelry chain Mayors marketed diamond earrings with the line "She delivered your first born, now give her twins." Fortunoff, a jewelry and gift chain store, established a push present registry in 2007. A registry??? You've got to be kidding. Why I never receive such gift from my hubby???????

But we can't really put fault on the jewelry industry for promoting "push presents" as a way to sell more goods because ultimately the peer pressure comes from mothers. According to BabyCenter.com, "It’s more and more an expectation of moms these days that they deserve something for bearing the burden for nine months, getting sick, ruining their body, etc.

But I, did not pressure nor expect my hubby into giving me anything on the above. I would rather let him know how much I've scarified for him and the family. If he understood that, it would be the greatest gift that I would ever receive from him.

I heard the saying once "The best thing that a father can ever do for its child is to love its mother". To me, this is the best push present ever. Don't you agree? But the act of love has to be shown to the mother not just SAY!! It has to be presented to the mother so that she understood that her efforts and sacrifices are noted and appreciated by the father.














No comments: