CafeMom Tickers

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mermaids



Recently, while watching TV at home at night before my bed time, I came across an old movie by Wynona Ryder (she was my idol when I was a teenage girl) named Mermaids. This movie is about an unconventional single mother relocates with her two daughters to a small Massachusetts town in 1963, where a number of events and relationships both challenge and strengthen their familial bonds. Little do I know that, the adorable little girl which star as Wynona sister was Christina Ricci. She was such a cutie when she was young. I wonder how Wynona looked like now.

Here are some of the memorable quotes which I like in the movie:

Charlotte Flax: Please God don't let me fall in love and want to do disgusting things... Dear God, I love the way he throws.
[Charlotte is praying at a shrine she has made in her room to the Virgin Mary]

Rachel Flax: Charlotte, we're Jewish.
Rachel Flax: One thing you can rely on about your father: He can't be relied on.
Rachel Flax: Don't do anything I wouldn't do! Or don't do anything I would!
Dr. Reynolds: [Charlotte thinks she is pregnant because she kissed Joe] Has your mother ever talked to you about sex?

Charlotte Flax: Uh... oh yeah! All the time. We talk about everything. She's a wonderful mother.

Dr. Reynolds: So you do know how babies are made?

Charlotte Flax: Oh, yeah.

Dr. Reynolds: Then why did you think you were pregnant? You're still a virgin.
Charlotte Flax: Oh god. I think I might be pregnant with the next Jewish Italian Messiah
Charlotte Flax: Sometimes I feel like you're the child and I'm the grown up.
Mary O'Brien: See that woman right there? That's my mother and when I grow up... I want to be just like yours.

Charlotte Flax: Mary, you already are.
Charlotte Flax: Okay mom, if you want to drive Lou away, that's your buisness. If you want Joe, it's war.
Charlotte Flax: So Joe, tell me about the nuns in the convent. Do they wear underwear in the shower?






No comments: