CafeMom Tickers

Friday, November 13, 2009

Blue or Pink

Hmmm.... let's see what we've missed out for the past few months of my pregnancy. Looks like I've not been updating my blog during the period of July-August. Therefore, I will be slowly updating you about my past feelings on my pregnancy for the past few months which I've been missing suddenly (my apologies..). Okay, let's began with the most interesting topic on "How the first time I find out about my baby's gender".

Frankly speaking, I’m not big on surprises... but I guess for some parents-to-be they would prefer to wait till the day that their baby is born to know their gender. I also heard that is that feelings of thrill, excitement, suprise, etc.etc... of waiting for 9 months till the moment in the delivery room (when the gyne announce the sex of their new baby).

But for me and my hubby, the thrilled started as early as the first 3 months of my pregnancy, where theorically the baby's gender would be able to be seen through the ultrasound scan and also when people around us starts to know that we are expecting a child, they started to pop out the question to you first thing (after all the congratulations) "what's the gender of your baby?".

So this magical question gradually adds in more and more thrilled to us to wanting to know the gender of our baby. In addition, it's also easier for us in choosing which colour of shirts/bottle/towels/bed sheets/ etc.etc. to buy for our newborn. (FYI, I've waited very very patiently till in my 5th month of pregnancy to buy all those baby stuff. I know it's hard to resist especially when it's your first experience in buying for your baby and you just want all the best stuff you can get for your newborn.)

Okay, let's get back to the story on how we discover the gender of our baby...

So, every once a week, I will let my CM doctor to scan my womb to check if my baby is growing healthily at their given time... I still remember the first time I saw my baby's heartbeat on my CM doctor's screen... it's just a tiny-mini dot blinking in between the lines of black and white screen screaming for attention (!!!)... =)

At first, my CM doctor said to me, "There's the baby's heartbeat..." and I quickly move my attention to his screen and quriously said, " Errmm... where??? I can't see leh.." Then the doctor, enlarge the screen a little and pointed out to me saying, "There!!"... With my relief mind and heart, I said, "Ohh... I saw it... but it's very tiny..?" and then the doctor smile to me. It was the most amazing moment ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D to see my little darling's heartbeat beating so quickly and healthily. Dear Father in haven, thank you for this amazing moment you bring to me and my hubby. Please continue to protect my little baby. In Jesus name I pray. Amen. Although my hubby was not there to see it for the first time with me (I think he is somewhere outside the waiting area looking at his PC), I was already overwhelmed... and I hope he could able to see it the next scan.

Then, at about 3rd months, as usual I will let my CM doc scan my tummy to check if the baby is doing ok but this time round, he scanned vigorously like he is looking for something in my womb. I also duno why I didn't asked him what is he looking for... but little did I know that he was trying to find out my baby's gender. However, I was not so eager to find out as I read somewhere that the baby's gender would only appear at aroung the 5th month of pregnancy. But, he could be able to see it on the ultrasound screen that would be great!! Anyway, my CM doc told me he could not be sure... but it's look like a girl to him.

Suddenly, So many things flashed through my head... Is this for real??? (since my doc also cannot be 100% sure of it)... I started to think of pink dress, pink shoes, butterfly hair bows and baby dolls, a lot of soft toys and long hair girls and my ever-evolving relationship with my own mom. As for my husband, he seemed equally in love with and happy, smiling away as we exit the doc's room. But still, while walking through the shopping mall, I was intrigue to buy some pinky stuff for my little princes and suprisingly I was stopped by my dear hubby... He said to me, "Let's wait till the doc is 100% confirmed about the gender of our baby." I was suprise to hear him say that because I tot he is so happy with having a baby girl (???).

Anyway, back at home, somehow, I had this strong feelings that I'm going to expect a baby boy (duno how to explain it but it's just a feeling inside me)... but I said to myself that I will let God to decide for me which baby is best for us. As I pray everyday, I reminded myself to have faith in God and to be grateful with whatever He blessed us with (though I know I'm not those lucky birds to get whatever I wish for in my life).

I have four more weeks until my first ultrasound and I feel like a kid in the month before Christmas, willing away the days until we finally know whether we will have a baby boy or girl. I don’t know how I survived an entire pregnancy in suspense when this short wait is already killing me! There are also alternative routes for those of us determined to find out the sex: The Chinese gender prediction chart is said to be very accurate (I found it in the www) Or you could give one of the many old wives’ tales a spin: If you’re carrying low, you’re having a boy. Craving sweet treats? It’s a girl! If your left breast is bigger than your right, better start buying blue. Of course science (pesky science) disputes most of these, but they’re kind of fun nonetheless! Or you could just trust your mother’s intuition: A study reportedly found that 71% of moms-to-be correctly guessed their baby’s gender all on their own.

Finally, came the day when we visited our ob-gyne (on 29th Sept 2009). As we waited patiently outside the waiting area for our turn... it suddenly our turn (waiting less than 30 mins). After some brief chat with our ob-gyne, she proceed to examine me with the ultrasound scan, my hubby suddenly pop another questions to our gyne... "Can we see the baby's gender yet???" Our ob-gyne then said, "Hmm... it's depends on how co-operative is your baby.." Then she proceed to scanning my baby lower parts and said with firm voice, "It's a boy!". Again, I was suprised (of course couldn't be happier to hear my gyne comment) and wanted to check it out myself at the screen for sure and my gyne show us the evidence.

She continue to say "There's, this is his testical (gyne pointing her finger at the screen)..." My hubby suddenly give me a quick naughty smile... Again, hundreds of things just rush through my head as I'm still get over the fact that I will be having a baby BOY! I could feel my heart dancing with joy as we leave the gyne's room!!!! =D My hubby, however, appear calm... so calm that I asked him whether he is ok (??). He then replied, "I'm equally as happy as you are... and he got a huge dick!" and he continue laughing happily (I think he still is). Yeap, that's what he told me =]

Suddenly, as this message finish dowloading into my head, I was terrified by the thought of raising a son. I heard that boys are hard to manage but nontheless both of us are over joy with the news that the baby is doing fine and we are expecting a baby boy as our first child!

Last but not least, what I would like to say is, at the end of the day, no matter what the gender it is, both of us are thankful to the Almighty Lord for blessing us with this special gift.

Dear Father in Haven, please keep us in faith with You all the time. Please continue to bless us with your wisdom and please continue to guide us through the difficult path in our life. Dear Lord, we want thank you also for all that You've done for us in our life, and we hope you will continue to perfect us in Your way. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.


No comments: